November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Diary - Brining the turkey

It's here!! And since today is day to give thanks, I start my post thanking you all for your support, strength, inspiration and participation!

Now, to the report:
I ended up leaving everything for today and, for now, everything is under control. I started opening the turkey, removing the giblets and neck, and preparing the brining.
Brining duration depends on the size of the turkey. If it is too big, you can brine it the night before and leave it until roasting time. My turkey is about 10 lbs so I started today morning and it will be like this for about 6 hours.
As I said yesterday, this process is widely used here, and people say it makes the meat more tender. Some people prepare a more complete brine by seasoning it and adding herbs, but just salty water works too. (basic brine: 1 cup of salt to 1 gallon of cold water).




As you can see, I used a bucket, because I don't have a very large pot, and used a plastic bag so the turkey doesn't stay in contact with the bucket. You can leave it out of the refrigerator (keeping the water always cold) or in the refrigerator. I made room by taking out the vegetable drawer.


If you would like more information on how to brine a turkey, which other spices to use etc, just search "how to brine a turkey" or "brining the turkey" on the internet and you will find tons of tips.

Following chapters: cranberry sauce, Nutella pana cotta, corn muffins and the turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment