March 13, 2012

Venice Canals, CA

You may have noticed that in the past two weeks I didn't post every day, but I'm back! My in-laws were here and, with them, I visited new places and restaurants, and I'll post them for you.

We started with a suggestion of my dear friend Edina: Venice Canals (right here in Venice Beach, California!)


The canals were built in 1905 by Abbot Kinney (one of the most famous street in Venice. I already spoke about it here) who wanted to replicate Venice (Italy) in California. Formerly there were several canals, but with huge changes in the American culture (like cars!), the canals were decreasing and today there are only six, which after a major renovation in 1992, became a tourist attraction.


Hidden amid the madness of Venice, near the beach, it's a nice walk and very different than we are used to in LA. The houses built by the canals are also an attraction themselves (after the renovation of the area, today they are worth a small fortune and are also being renovated).


It's not like the original, but it's a beautiful place to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment